Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Assassin's Apprentice

I'm about halfway through the book which is a good sign. That means that it has my attention. It is written by Robin Hobb and this is the first of several books concerning the cast of characters she created for this book. For more on Robin Hobb. Initially I was a bit confused about the writing style. While written in the first person, it starts off with the protagonist writing about his life, his early years. The primary problem I had with this tactic is that there was no definitive narrative switch between writing about the past to living as in the present. It was a gradual shift one that left me not exactly a clear idea as to what was going on at the time. Finally I realized that the narrative had changed and I was able to truly enjoy the tale. I'll hold off on the actual review until I've completed reading the book.