Monday, July 20, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I took the kids to see the movie yesterday and thought that I would give you my impressions of the movie. Admittedly, this book had a LOT of information in it concerning Voldemort and the horcrux's, the movie seemed to short cut them. In fact, the movie gets to the end with Snape telling Harry that he was the Half Blood Prince. The movie never examined that relationship outside of the title and Snape proclaiming it at the end was completely out of place. As a whole I was dissappointed in the movie. The effects were stunning (as expected) but the whole movie seemed convoluted and out of place with the book. I order the movies:

1. Order of the Phoenix
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Prisoner of Azkaban
4. Sorcerers Stone
5. Chamber of Secrets
6. Half Blood Prince

It was rated PG so my youngest could go. Fortunately, he missed the one truly scarry part. My wife suddenly wants to read the final book, so the movie did entice her to follow the story a bit closer. Overall, this movie had a wider appeal, even though I didn't like it near as much as the others. Unless you have your own home theater, go see it on the big screen. If you have your own, wait until the DVD comes out.