Thursday, July 23, 2009

WOW

As I've mentioned before, I am an avid gamer. I avoided online games for as long as I could (MMO's that is), but when Sony came out with Star Wars Galaxies. I had no choice but to play. Also, Sony completely Smurfed that up and I finally left it for World of Warcraft 3 years later. Blizzard really knows how to do it up right, and I held on to that game for 3 years as well before I finally got burned out. I would rearrange my schedule based on our raiding and realized that when a game becomes more like a job, then it is time to go.

In SWG, I ran a successful business (now if I could only do that in real life) and amassed a large fortune before I quit. I had over a million credits in the bank (enough I calculated to keep my houses in place for at least 4 years, you know, just in case I decided to come back). At least in WOW, I wasn't as concerned about money (loot is the thing there), but I was browsing recently and saw a Guide to be a WOW Millionaire. I admit it took me a long time to stop laughing. A quick glance at it reminded me that games can indeed be jobs sometimes. At first I thought that it allowed the user to be a RL Millionaire, but then reality hit me and I started laughing again. All of that work! And still nothing but Cheeto stained T-Shirts to show for it. I wonder if it was written by a Chinese Gold Farmer. At least he is making real money!

But, WOW is starting to call me again. I think I'll wait until fall so I don't lose my suntan. And hey, maybe this time I'll be a millionare!